Enterprises have relied on Oracle applications and services for years and will continue to do so with cloud services becoming the new standard. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) has become one of the top cloud providers in the cloud computing industry as a way to move on-premises Oracle technology to the cloud.
Using OCI for new and migrated workloads offers important benefits but presents some challenges, such as:
- Limited visibility into costs and usage – OCI offers a view into cost management, but enterprises are looking for detailed visibility, cost and usage history, and the ability to perform showback and chargeback so they can view cost and usage data in context.
- Separate cloud management tools complicate cloud financial management – Enterprises often have a mix of multiple public clouds, hybrid cloud, and data center infrastructure and services. Having OCI data in a separate management tool makes it more challenging to incorporate OCI data in a comprehensive cloud financial management process. It can be a manual effort to create a single view of the entire cloud ecosystem, including OCI, in one place.
- Difficult to organize OCI assets in a business context – It can be a challenge for organizations to create a detailed asset inventory and understand which OCI assets belong to different teams and lines of business, or which assets support particular applications.
VMware Aria Cost for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
VMware Aria Cost™ powered by CloudHealth® provides visibility into OCI costs, so enterprises can view all their public cloud costs, including OCI, in a single platform.
Enterprises gain visibility into cost and usage of Pay as You Go (PAYG) and Monthly Flex to make informed decisions about proper usage and manage costs. They can also create and track adherence to budgets with the Budget vs. Actual Spend Report to gain deep visibility into OCI assets, and view OCI cost data with Perspectives to align cost and usage by business unit for showback.
Figure 1: The OCI dashboard in VMware Aria Cost.
Gain Visibility into Your OCI Resources
- View and report on OCI costs and usage with customized reports tailored to your business function, team or project.
- Gain visibility into OCI compartments, and dynamically allocate assets and costs to custom business groupings.
- Easily share valuable insights with individuals or teams with subscription-based reporting.
Simplify OCI Financial Management
- Drive financial accountability with a complete view of your OCI financial health, including cost and usage of compute shape resources.
- Simplify budget tracking by creating alerts and triggers for OCI budgets to notify key stakeholders if a line of business is projected to overspend.
- Gain insights into the deltas between planned and actual spend,and minimize unexpected cost increases.
Align Business Context to Oracle Cloud Data
- Access historic resource usage across teams, create cloud usage and cost forecasts, and provide showback for cost management among all cloud users.
- View cost, usage and performance metrics holistically, or segment by specific business grouping for granular analysis.
- Create and share detailed, API-driven reporting on Oracle virtual machines(VMs) used by different teams and cost centers.
- Gain visibility into your OCI resources
- Simplify OCI financial management
- Align business context to Oracle Cloud data
- Dashboard – Get a cost and usage overview with historical cost segregated by service categories.
- Cost History Report – Review costs across Oracle Cloud services, compartments and Perspectives with a cost drilldown showing resource-level cost details.
- Compute Usage Report – Gain visibility into usage hours for compute shape resources.
- Multi-Cloud Cost Report – Utilize a single point of reference across clouds.
- Perspectives – Group OCI resources by user-defined business groups, such as line of business, functional area, and cost center, for cost reporting and showback.
- Asset inventory and reporting – Gain visibility into OCI compartments, a comprehensive list of assets (as derived from billing data), and deeper, API-driven reporting on Oracle VMs.
- Budget vs. Actual Spend Report – Enter and track your budget with insights into the deltas between planned and actual spend.